Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Classic Ole Lemon Meringue


While watching Tan Kheng Hua tucking into her lemon tart and loudly proclaimed it to be tangy, and with a satisfying look,that caught my lao gong's attention immediately.Not the person but the tart,(fortunately for me,hehe......)He then asked what tart was that?It looks kinda special and he would love to try,well so do I after watching her and salivating.Although the tart does look very much like a lemon meringue pie,I cannot be so sure as it was simply known as lemon tart.Dug my book of 500 recipes,and bingo,what u see is the end product.I love the meringue as it is crispy and taste very much like marshmallow.However,I made the mistake of being too generous with the lemons,the filling turned out to be so sour that it makes me cringe.Otherwise,it does taste good and worth a try.
If life give you lemons,now you can always make a lemon meringue pie,haha...Hey,did I hear someone calling me lame?haha...
Here's the recipe(18.5cm pie)
115g plain flour
50g butter
25g caster sugar
1 egg yolk

Filling:
juice of 3 lemons(that was too sour for me,think next time I use 2)
finely grated rind of 2 lemons
45g cornflour
75g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
15 g butter

Meringue
2 egg whites
115g caster sugar

1.Rub the butter into flour till it resemble fine breadcrumbs.Add in egg yolk,sugar and 2 tbsp water,mix into a dough.Refigerate for 30 minutes.

2.Preheat oven to 200 degree celcius.Roll out pastry and lined 18.5cm flute tin.Prick the surface all over with a fork,line with greaseproof paper and fill with beans.Bake blind for 15 minutes,remove paper with beans and bake for another 10 minutes.Allow pastry to cool,reduce temperature to 150degree celcius.

3.For filling,blend lemon juice,rindand cornflour,add in 150ml water,bring to boil,stirring till thicken.Remove from heat,add in sugar and egg yolks and butter.Spoon into pastry case,for meringue,whisk egg whites till stiff,then add in sugar to whip till thick and glossy.pile on top of lemon filling,bake for 35 minutes till golden brown.

No comments: