Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bak Kwa Pizza



Went to visit my uncle and was presented with bak kwa,the bbq sweet meat..We hardly consume bbq or canned foods,yet I accepted the gift with good grace,for fear of offending...So that was that...now the inevitable question of how/what to do with the meat?Serving it alongside with porridge or rice is fine,but I like to prepare something simple before the big cookout for the night,as I am expecting nine guests for dinner...and it will be a one woman-show for me..haha..

Since we love pizza,so why not let bak kwa be the topping?Nowadays,along with rising food cost,it seem that the price of wheat is going to be on all-time high,I prefer to make my own with a fraction of the cost compared to commerical pizza,and I get to choose and pick our favourite toppings,and most importantly avoid overeating,haha...Usually,I can get so tempted with the side order that grilled chicken wings,garlic bread is added,the drink seem to be at a reasonable price too?well,bring it on...haha.

If you like to try your own pizza,heres the recipe for the dough,it is so simple that only 15 minutes is require,but one hour is needed to proof,so usually I will just prepared my dough much earlier then leave it under the sun covered with aluminium foil or cling wrap to let teh yeast work hard(warm,sweet,moist environment is best for yeast),while I play with clover or do my own stuff..hehe..

Pizza Dough:
(Adapted from 500 all-times great recipes)
1 1/2 bread flour
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2-3/4 warm water,warm milk(If using milk,omit sugar as milk contains lactose-milk sugar)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt(I omit)

Methods:
1. Sift flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.Stir in the yeast.Make a well in the centre,pour in warm water,warm milk and oil.Mix into soft dough.

2.Knead a dough lightly onto lightly floured board for about 8-10 minutes till it is smooth and elastic.

3.Place in another clean greased bowl,cover,and leave to double in size for an hour.Shape it to pan,bake in preheated oven at 200 degree celcius,poke the dough lightly all over using a fork,bake in oven for about 5 minutes,before placing the toppings,and bake again for about 20-25 minutues.Enjoy.
2.

No comments: