Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pineapple mandarin drumsticks



From a nutritional viewpoint,cooking with fruits is usually not advisable,for the high heat will literally destroy all the vitamin C,which is very unstable in heat,however,when faced with a tub of canned pineapple rings and some fresh mandarins,I cannot possibly leave the fruits to rot or turn mouldy,food wastage if I can,I will keep it to the minimial..(Canned fruits normally do not have much vit C left,unless it is added)..In addition,I was eager to clear my fridge before electricity supply get cut off tomorrow for a few hours,not that my lao gong did not pay the bills...haha...but rather some works are going to commence tomorrow affecting the whole block....This mean that frozen meat has to be gotten rid as soon as possible,for thawing the meat and refreeze again is a good breeding ground for bacteria,and affect the texture of the meat...Though the recipe called for the sauce to be simmer till theres hardly any left,I choose to simmer it till the drumsticks are cooked,before garnishing it with the rest of pineapple and mini mandarin....for my lao gong loves to ladle sauce onto his rice...yum...Heres the recipe:

6 chicken drumstick(I peeled off the skin and slit)
Marinade:
1 tbsp light soya sauce
dash of pepper
one knob of ginger
Juice of half an orange

Marinade the chicken for at least one hour in the fridge(I marinate for at 5-6 hrs)

Gravy:
5 pineapple rings(I used canned ones)
3 mandarin and half the remaining orange
Juice the fruits.
Add in 1 tbsp of honey and 1/3 cup of water

1/2 onion,garlic(chopped)
1 tbsp of oil

1.Heat up oil,fry onion and garlic until fragrant.
2.Pan fry the drumsticks till brown.
3.Remove the drumsticks,add in the marinade.Once it starts boiling,toss in the drumsticks again,and the gravy.Stir once in a while,simmer for about 40 mins over low heat.Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never think about fruits can be cooked this way. thanks and Good Luck!