Monday, March 24, 2008

Lime Chicken in coke



I was told by my lao gong that this is a popular dish in China and Taiwan,the reviews I seen on a food forum make me curious to attempt it for myself.I modify some of the ingredients,but the amount of coke used remains the same.Oddly enough,though the chicken was basically cooked in cola-cola,we cannot detect the slightest hint of the coke at all.Instead,it mellow into a sweet,thick gravy that tasted like braised moist,succelent chicken that goes well with rice/noodles.Can try it if you,too,are curious...hehe...

Lime Chicken in coke
5 pieces of chicken thighs
2 limes(I used calamari limes)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 can of normal coke(can change to coke with lemon and omit the fresh limes)
1/2 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp oil
1. Marinate the chicken thighs with half can of coke,juice of 1 lime for about 1 hour.
2.Heat oil,fry onion and garlic till fragrant.add in chicken thighs,fry till slightly brown.Add in the sauce and remaining coke,simmer for about 45 minutes till chicken is cooked.Squueze out juice of the other lime,mixed and serve.

2 comments:

Marta Ager said...

What an interesting recipe!

Anonymous said...

how is little clover doing? long time didn't see update on her. hope everything is well.
Ma