Monday, January 21, 2008

Korean Ginseng,chestnut Chicken soup






As clover loves to meddle with our hp,my lao gong bought this new toy for her,hehe...Alas,her interest weaned too soon and she still much prefer our hp to her toy,haha..

It was known that to remove fats from soup,there are a few ways to do it,one to trim off all visible fats,or remove skin from poultry,to chill the soup and remove the layer of scum that hardened on the surface,in this instance,I felt that while thawing the chicken,it was easier to remove the skin,and using what ingredients I had on hand,it was a good tonic to have...hehe..Too bad clover cannot drink,for I am wary about the effects of herbs on her,still my lao gong and I happily lap it up..Give it a try..

Korean Ginseng chicken soup
1 korean ginseng(To prevent fatigue)
1 chicken,chopped and skin removed
6-8 raw chestnuts(the ones normally used for roasting)
5-6 ginko nuts(I do not have,hence omit it)
1 packet of fresh mushrooms(any preferred type)
handful of chinese wolfberry(rich of vit A,its good to prevent night blindness and for healthy skin)
3 black dates(to enhance sweetness and tonify the blood,from nutritional point of view,dried fruits contain iron)

1.Wash chicken,remove skin,roughly chopped.Add all ingredients to boil,or simmer in slow cooker for about 2 hours.
2.Season to taste and serve,for me,I do not add any seasoning,as apart from health reason,sufficient brewing will result in a rich,flavourful soup.

No comments: