Wednesday, July 16, 2008

fruity salad loaf



The best part about baking is that I get to be in full control,omitting this,adding a pinch of that,and finally,to gain full satisfaction upon knowing that my "experiment" work,with a peace of mind,having been able to provide a "healthier" version than commerical one,that is motivational factor,which I cling onto to create and churn out one product after another...haha...Heres a fine example of one bake which I did modify to make it a snack for the little one,tea-time for the adults...Though canned fruits is not really a good option,I must add,however I am stuck with 3 tupper-wares of it,after making fruit-tarts,it is a good way to dispose of it as soon as possible,as much as I can....haha..It also translate into less sugar to be added into this loaf,as canned fruits are usually soaked in heavy syrup,some adjustments is required...
However, I do not dispel the notion of everything in moderation,once in a while,I do indulge especially when comes to chocolate cake making,Mmm...haha..
The response was so positive,moist,soft,slightly chewy and gritty, that I will not hesitate to do it again,anyone who like to try is most welcome to have the recipe:

Fruit salad Loaf
11/2 cup plain flour
1/2 wholemeal flour(I substitute wholemeal flour to increase fibre content)
3/4 cup sugar(original recipe uses 1 cup of sugar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cold,cubed butter
1 egg
rind of one orange/lemon
juice of one orange+30ml milk
1 cup mixed chopped fruits(I sieved the fruits to drain away excess syrup)
Methods:
1.Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.Grease and lined loaf tin.

2.Combine flour,raising agents,sugar in bowl.Rub in butter till it resemble breadcrumbs.Add in rind.Toss the fruits into 1/4 of flour mixture.(This is to prevent the fruits from sinking to bottom of cake after baking)

3.In separate bowl,add in egg,juice,milk.Gently fold in fruits,adding all into flour mixture,fold gently.Pour into pan and bake for around 40-45 minutes,till skewer comes out clean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my,it was so gd,that I finished up 2 slices in one sitting late at night,despite being on a diet,hehe
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

I like it alot,thanks.
Lishi

Anonymous said...

can i use self raising flour instead?
ok